Clarecastle and Ballyea Parish - Historical Notes

Killone with primroses
Eric Shaw
Scott's Cornstore 1846
Des Ryan

From the Parish files, Fr. Pat Malone, P.P., has given us a typed script of about 14 pages in which various aspects of the history of Ballyea are considered. The script is undated and we have no idea who the author was. It may have been written in the 1980s.  There are articles on Stephen Meany, Newhall House, the Mermaid, the Civil War etc. There is a page on Seamus Kelleher, a teacher in Caherea school who lived in Lismulbreeda. He was a poet and some of his poetry appeared in school books. That reference might help to identify the author.

Fr. Malone also gave us a transcript of an interview he had with John Hanly, past Principal of Clarecastle School in 1985, in which John reflects on the buildings of the old Scott Cornstore in the Quay Road.


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.