Located in the west of the parish, Barntick is 199 hectare or 498 acres in size. It bordered by Ballaghafadda West in the east, Ballybeg in the north, Buncraggy to the south, Feagh in the west, Lissane West in the east and Newhall in Killone parish to the north. The R473 (Kildysart Road or Conic Line) road runs through the townland. Part of Killone lake was included in the 1855 Valuation.
The history of Barntick is well documented, thanks in part to the 17th century Barntick House which is still extant. The Clarecastle Ballyea Heritage and Wildlife website provides a detailed account of the house those who lived there and the landlords.
The immediate lessor for Barntick, in 1855, was Sir David Roche Baronet (1791-1865) who held land in other townlands in the parish. Sir David’s property later passed to his younger son Standish O’Grady Roche (1845-1914), a name which continued to appear as immediate lessor on some properties until 1970 but it may refer to father and son.
The Griffith Valuation 1855 for Barntick recorded three occupiers and there were few changes 1855-1884 which is not uncommon in rural townlands transcribed for this series. The Lyons/Murphy family in lot 3 appears throughout the cancelled book series 1855-1970, again demonstrating continued association to place.
A feature of the cancelled books for Barntick in the 1890s was acquisition of small lots of land and the construction of houses by the Guardians of Ennis Union and this organisation’s successors. These homes, as well as improving housing for their tenants also increased the population and access to an available workforce for the large farms in the area.
In 1939 a series of small lots of land were provided through the Land Act Purchase Scheme.
Both the 1901 and 1911 censuses of Ireland record six households with thirty-five occupants in 1901 and thirty-eight in 1911.
 (https://www.townlands.ie/clare/islands/clareabbey/clareabbey/barntick/) (accessed 2 Mar. 2023).
( https://clarecastleballyea.clareheritage.org/topics/big-houses-in-clarecastle-and-ballyea/bantick-house)(accessed 2 Mar. 2023).
 Sir Standish Deane O’Grady Roche 3rd Baronet (1845-1914) and Sir Standish O’Grady Roche, 4th Baronet (1911-977)
 (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Clare/Clareabbey/Barntick/) and (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Clare/Clareabbey/Barntick/) (accessed 2 Mar. 2023).
Add a comment about this page