Knockanimana, which has 192 acres or seventy-eight hectares, is located to the east of the village and is bordered by Carrowgar to the east, Carrownanelly to the south, Killow and Skehanagh to the south. Knockanimana is also located along the eastern side of the Fergus. A short section of the Ennis to Limerick rail line runs through the townland. The R458, formerly the main Ennis to Limerick road runs through the townland. Locally the townland is often spelled as Knocknamana.
The immediate lessor of most of the townland was Lord Inchiquin in 1855.
As has been observed in other rural townlands in the parish, families continued to occupy the same lots 1855 including the Nestor family at lot 1, the Hassett/Masters/Barry family in lot 2, the McNamara/Murphy/McCready family in lot 3, the O’Donohue family in lot 7 and Lyon family in lot 8 as examples.
Another feature of the cancelled books is the presence of the brickworks listed in lot 7b (O’Donohue) and lot 8 on Lyons’ farm. Indeed, the cancelled books have many notations indicating that the brickworks appeared to have ceased operation in the early 1870s but notations continue to be made in the 1926-1934 cancelled book. The 1858-64 cancelled book records that 170,000 bricks were made in 1863. Two notations in 1872 and 1883 record that the brickworks “not worked.”
At both censuses of Ireland there were six households with forty-two people in 1901 and thirty-six people in 1911.
 (https://www.townlands.ie/clare/islands/clareabbey/clareabbey/knockanimana) (accessed 14 Mar 2023).
Add a comment about this page