Islandavanna Upper and Lower
When Islandavanna Upper and Lower were surveyed for the Primary (Griffith) Valuation of Ireland, published in 1855, there was nineteen acres in Islandavanna Upper in one lot and twenty-nine acres in Islandavanna Lower. In 2023, Islandavanna Upper measures 436 hectares or 1077 acres while Islandavanna Lower measures ninety-seven hectares or 240 acres.
Administratively both townlands are in the Clareabbey District Electoral Division (DED) but Islandavanna Lower is part of the parish of Clondagad (Ballynacally) while Islandavanna Upper is located in Clareabbey (Clarecastle) parish. As the two are included in the Clareabbey DED cancelled books both transcriptions are included here.
Islandavanna Upper is bordered by Ballyveskill, Buncraggy, Islandmagrath and Islandavanna Lower while Islandavanna Lower borders Teermaclane and Craggykerrivan in Clondagad Parish.
The reclamation of the Fergus River inter-tidal mud-flats, also known as the Clare Slob lands, which increased the size of the townlands was a major feat of later nineteenth century engineering whose history is documented in the Clarecastle Ballyea Heritage website. The article also provides a history of the distribution of land following the reclamation. The works were undertaken following the passing of the United Kingdom Parliament, Clare Slob Land Reclamation Extension Act, 1879.
The two attached transcriptions add to the historic narrative but showing when changes occurred and who occupied the townlands 1855-1970.
 (askaboutireland.com/Griffith valuation) (accessed 6 Mar. 2023).
 (https://www.townlands.ie/clare/islands/clareabbey/) (accessed 6 Mar 2023)/
 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/Vict/42-43/95/pdfs/ukla_18790095_en.pdf) (accessed 6 Mar. 2023).