Carrownanelly is located in the south-east of the Clareabbey parish and is bordered by the River Fergus and the R458 as well as the townlands of Carrowgar, Killow, Knockanimana and Manusmore. The townland is known locally as Carnally in church and civil records. Carrownanelly is one of five townlands from in the parish included in the Doora district electoral division. Carrownanelly is 137.34 hectares or 339 acres in size. The townland was recorded as Carnonanelly at the 1901 census of Ireland but reverted back to Carrownanelly in 1911. There were twenty-seven people in six households recorded at the 1901 census of Ireland and five households with twenty-four occupants in 1911.
When the Primary Valuation of Ireland (Griffith Valuation) was published in 1855, there were two occupiers; Mary Stamer holding 96 acres with a house and offices in lot 1 and James O’Donohoe holding 249 acres with a house, office and three labourers cottages in lot 2. The immediate lessor for the townland was the Duchess de Rovigo (nee Elizabeth Stamer (1815-1875)). A detailed history of the Stamer and familial connections to Carnally House and land in the townland is provided by Power (pp. 335-348).
The Carrownanelly revision /cancelled books 1856-1970 provide a list of the occupiers of Carnally House (lot 1) including Elizabeth Stamer’s only daughter Marie de Rovigo (c1844-1890) and her husband Francis Burton (c1841-1883). The house was later occupied by Patrick O’Brien (c1831-1900) who was a major employer and owner of property in the village.
The O’Donohue/O’Donohoe /O’Donoghue family had a continuous association with the townland 1855-1970. James O’ Donohoe was occupier of 249 acres in 1855 and the family continued to hold the property in lot 2 throughout the period of the cancelled books. Power indicates that James O’Donoghue of Knockanimana and Mrs Elizabeth Stamer of Carnelly entered into a lease in 1837.
 Joseph Power, A history of Clare Castle and its environs, Ennis, 2004, pp335-350.
 (Irishgenealogy.ie) (accessed 1 Nov. 2022).
 Joseph Power, A history of Clare Castle and its environs, Ennis, 2004, p208.