Lissan East, which has 216 acres or eighty-seven hectares, is bordered by Ballaghafadda West and Lissan West to the west and Clarehill and Creggaunnahilla to the north with a large river frontage to the east of the townland. Generally the townland is spelled locally as Lissane.
The Primary (Griffith) Valuation 1855 divided Lissan East into eight lots of varying sizes. Lot 8 which had 106 acres or almost fifty percent of the total area of the townland was held in fee by Sir David Roche (1791-1865) of Carcass, Limerick and his successor Standish O’Grady Roche. Sir David held land in Clareabbey, Lissan West, Ballaghafadda West and Barntick at the time of the Griffith Valuation. Lot 8 was later sub-divided and this distribution is documented in the cancelled books as lots 8-23, commencing from 1924.
Continuity 1855-1970 is demonstrated in lot 6, land which was held by members of the Lynch family while 7a was held by generations of the Reidy family.
Three houses were developed by the Ennis Rural District Council and its administrative successor the Clare County Board of Health in Lissan East.
There twenty-seven people present in three households at the 1901 census of Ireland with twenty-five people in four households in 1911. During the period 1855-1970 the area largely remained rural but in more recent years there have been housing developments.
 (https://www.townlands.ie/clare/islands/clareabbey/clareabbey/lissan-east/) (accessed 14 Mar 2023).
 Joe Power, A history of Clare Castle (Ennis, 2004) p.205.
 (https://landedestates.ie/estate/1895) (15 Mar. 2023).
 (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Clare/Clareabbey/Lissane_East/1070330/) (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Clare/Clareabbey/Lissan__East/) (accessed 14 Mar. 2023).