Killone Convent in Images
The convent of Cill Eoin or the convent of St. John’s Church, was the first convent of Augustinian nuns in County Clare. The Annals of Inisfallen, 1259-1260, mention the death of “Slaney, O Bryan’s daughter, Abbess of Kill Eoin, chief in devotion, almes-deedes and hospitality of all women in Munster.” Another abbess, Dubcollaithig Breyn, died in 1350. In 1584 the convent was vested in the Crown. One legend relates how Honora O’Brien became a nun in Killone but ran off with Sir Roger O’Shaughnessy of Gort and presented him with a son and daughter before getting the Pope’s dispensation for their marriage. It is mentioned in the Visitation of Killaloe in 1617 as the property of Baron Inchiquin. It was last occupied at the end of the sixteenth century. The east window is its most interesting feature, being double with two semi-circular headed lights lined with smooth stonework.
The 3D image was created by:
Gary Dempsey, Digital Heritage Age and link to https://www.digitalheritageage.com/