A Ballybeg Woods Miscellany

Ballybeg Woods

Ballybeg Woods is a magical place full of nature’s hidden treasures. As soon as one walks up any of the entrance paths into the woods, one may feel their shoulders relax and the smell of trees, conifers, plants and peaty earth fill their senses. One might hear sounds of birds rustling in the trees and amongst the bushes looking for beetles and earthworms. The sighting of a jay or a red squirrel can be wonderful. One might become (for a short time) at one with nature, where the business of work, traffic and perhaps family life starts to fade into the background.

Ballybeg Woods was planted with conifers by the Government in the 1950s on what was a hilly, rocky, limestone crag. The crag was covered in hazel trees in parts, pockets of fertile soil and a karst landscape in areas very similar to the Burren in places. Erratic boulders are dotted around the woods. These are large boulders believed to have been brought by glacial actions from other locations. The conifers have been largely cut away and have been replaced by beech, ash and oak. Circular paths cut through the woods and it is a wonderful place to take exercise or a leisurely stroll. The flora and fauna adds greatly to the enjoyment of the woods.

A vague, undefined area of Ballybeg is known as Cartagh. That Irish word may have something to do with a blacksmith or it could be connected to the several families of McCarthy that lived there.

The Rocky Road runs along the southern edges of the Woods. It is part of an ancient Pilgrim’s Road linking Ennis Abbey, Clare Abbey and Killone Abbey. A map of this road is shown below.

The quarrying of limestone has been carried on in Ballybeg for many years. The stone for the 1843 Quay in Clarecastle and later for the embankments in the Sloblands reclamation at Islandmcgrath was probably sourced in Ballybeg. William Carroll (1817-1889) had a quarry and limekiln there. The column and base for the O’Connell Monument in Ennis came from that quarry.

Generations of children visited the hazel-groves in Ballybeg to pick hazelnuts.

Information about the Woods can be found in the film and attachments hereunder.

Spirit of the Forest
Carmel Doherty
Ballybeg Walking Trails
Eric Shaw
Ballybeg view Jan 2021
Eric Shaw
Unveiling of the Spirit of the Forest - 23 March 2014 Carmel Doherty - Sculptor, Mary Coote_ryan, Mayor of Ennis, Ger Dollard, Ennis Town Council, Eric Shaw, Clarecastle Heritage & Wildlife.
Christy Leyden
Katie Scanlan's cottage
Eric Shaw
window in Katie's house
Eric Shaw
Katie's house gable
Eric Shaw
Pilgrim's Road Map 1890
T. J. Westropp
Ballybeg woods in the fog
John Power
Ballybeg Fort
Eric Shaw
Ballybeg stone house, on the 1842 map and probably older
Eric Shaw
Erratic boulders in Ballybeg Woods
Eric Shaw
Erratic boulder in Ballybeg Woods
Eric Shaw
Erratic boulders in Ballybeg Woods
Eric Shaw
Ballybeg Gravestone - a mystery!
Eric Shaw

Downloads

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this