Pat Navin Photo Collection
Pat Navin, 1925-1979, was the son of Charles Navin and Elizabeth Harding. The Harding family ran a pub and grocery in Barrack Street. This later became known as Navin’s pub until it was sold in 2017 and is now operated as a pub known as Kate O’Reilly’s under the management of Paddy Quinn. Pat Navin was well-known as a sportsman and was regarded as an excellent shot in taking down pheasant, duck and geese. He was deeply interested in film-making, photography and painting and the decor of his pub reflected all of these interests. He rescued a pair of punt guns that had been in the village since the 1880s, restored them and had them on display in the pub for many years. Pat married Kitty O’Reilly in 1961. Mrs Navin had been employed at the Corner House, a pub and grocery business close to Navin’s pub. Mrs. Navin managed the Corner House in 1967 and ran it for a number of years. The Corner House was put up for sale in 1977 and was bought by John Davoren. It was leased out as a pub to many people over the years. In the 1970s, it became known as the Coach House. In 2014, it was bought and renovated and is now known as the Castle Coffee House & Eatery.
Mrs Navin ran Navin’s pub from the time of Pat’s death in 1979 until she died in 2004. Her Blessing nieces took over the pub until it was sold in 2017. Before the sale, Mary and Bernadette Blessing, following the wishes of Pat and Mrs Navin, took the very generous decision to present the punt guns to the Clarecastle Ballyea Heritage and Wildlife Group to be held in trust for the people of Clarecastle. Plans are being made to put the guns, a 1950s punt boat that was made by the Considine family and other fishing artefacts on display in a permanent home in the village.