Cancelled Book 9 Town of Clare (Clarecastle) 1934-1970

Town of Clare Revision /Cancelled Book 1934-1970

Unlike previous Valuation Office revision/cancelled book ledgers for the Town of Clare which usually covered 10- 15 years of changes in the village, the 1934-1970 Clarecastle revision /cancelled books covers thirty-six years of changes to property ownership and tenancies in the village. The ledger records significant changes to the life of those living and working in the village during the economic depression of the 1930s, the period known in Ireland as the Emergency or World War 2 and the social changes of the 1950s and 1960s.
While the occupiers of Maddens Terrace and the scheme in Patrick Street are listed by name, the information in lots 5.48- 5.55 Clare Commons- Town of Clare Main Street mentions a housing scheme but does not record the building of St. Michael Terrace on the site. The housing scheme on the right side of the Quay Road is also not mentioned.
Changes to social infrastructure in the village are illustrated by the construction of the new National School which opened in 1935 in Ballaghafadda East. The 1841 National School located at lot 3 Ennis Road Clare Common appears from the original Griffith Valuation in 1855, the old school became the Abbey Hall and it’s still in use.
Lot 24b Clarehill was created in 1951 and updated in 1953 to accommodate the water reservoir or tank as part of the Water Supply Scheme to the village.
Lots 30/31 Ennis Road Clare Commons which accommodated the Clarecastle Branch Land and Labour Association was demolished as part of the preparation for the construction of Maddens Terrace.
The deaths of Kitty O’Brien (1883-1963) and her sister Netta Sheedy (1876-1964) the last surviving children of Patrick O’Brien (1831-1900) and his wife Catherine Coughlin (1849-1884) bought an end to a family connection with a family who built and owned many houses in the village and were
employers and major users of the Port of Clare. Bernard O’Brien (1878-1943) Kitty and Netta’s brother was one of ten Clarecastle men, members of the United Irish League found guilty of intimidation and imprisoned in Limerick Gaol in 1902 for two months.
As has been mentioned previously, names of Immediate Lessors (often Landlords) are often slow to be notified to the Valuation Office. Patrick O’Brien mentioned above, who died in Mar 1900, continued to be noted as the immediate lessor for a number of properties. Another example is Guillamore O’Grady who inherited many of the Stamer properties in the 1890s died in 1952 but is still listed as the immediate lessor for some properties. Despite these (lack of) changes the final cancelled/revision book continues to provide a valuable source of local and family history and demonstrates continued link to place for many families who have lived in the village and parish for
generations.

Transcriber comment: There are sections of the ledger which have been challenging to transcribe but the information demonstrates the significant changes which occurred in the village from changes in ownership of businesses, land acquired by the Clare County Council and occupation of new houses in Patrick Street and Maddens Terrace.


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *