Clare Glebe (Glenard)

Glenard House
John Power
Clare Glebe

Clare Glebe

Associated families, etc.

Church of Ireland, Pilkington, O’Donoghue, Fahy,



Manusmore (Clareabbey)


N of the Limerick road, 3 km ESE of Clarecastle

Present condition

Standing. Inhabited. `


Demesne: Many mature trees. Gate lodge standing and inhabited. Rebuilt main gateway. Yard and utility buildings standing and used. Well-maintained garden.


Glenard House is an “L” shaped, two-storey, two (west side) and three (north side) bay house, with a central fanlit front door protected by a twentieth-century glass porch, facing north west. The yard and utility buildings stand to the south-east. An irregular front hall with a winding staircase leads to pleasantly-proportioned rooms. Originally there was a one storey wing parallel to the front which made the house “U” shaped. This has been demolished. An orchard stands to the east and a number of coniferous trees surround the house.


This was at one time the Church of Ireland rectory. The last rector to live here was reputedly the Reverend Robert Harris, who, in 1855, is recorded as having farmed the twenty-four acres of land. It then became the residence of five successive generations of Pilkingtons. They were members of an old Lancashire family, some of whom were here in the fifteenth century, but most of whom were settled in Ireland by Oliver Cromwell. Between 1922 and 1955 the Fahy family lived here, and from 1955 this house has been the residence of the McCarthys. [Now owned by the Hasset family].

Weir, Hugh, W.L. Houses of Clare, Ballinakella Press, 1985.

With kind permission of the author.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.